Monday, July 16, 2012

Construction Starts Tomorrow!!


Here are the Students that started the AIDS Challenge Youth Club! I have been working with all of them and will spend this whole week building the water tank and working in the garden!


The entrance into St. Charles Lwanga Butende Technical Institute! 


The Club's sign as soon as you enter the school.


The University donated four spaces in their large pig pen for the pigs to live.


Inside the pig pen.


This is where the four pigs will live that you all helped to buy! 


These are all the seedlings that the club has been growing but will transplant to their garden. It has maize, multiple types of eggplants, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and I believe one more thing....hmm


This is the building that we are attaching the gutters to catch the rain and carry down a pipe into the underground water tank. We have to add wood side boards to nail the gutters to. 


 This is where we will dig the hole and build the tank. It will be 12x9 feet and 4 feet deep. 

Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the garden yet because I didn't think I would have enough funding to help them.....but thanks to all of you, I DO! Let me tell you, it looks like a pig heap of dirt with trash surrounding it. The soil is not even close to being able to support their seedlings and they really need tools to cultivate the land. I will update you all with a picture soon!


I will be at the school all week helping them start all the projects! I am so excited to see it all come together finally!! Thank you all soooo much again and I will do after pictures. 

2 comments:

  1. Maggie, you picked a terrific place to do your work! I was at BTI with Reaching Out 2 Africa from buffalo, NY in May. Tell Achilles hello for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Christine, too, from the Computer lab! She loved our iPad.

      Delete