Sunday, June 17, 2012

Uganda Empowers

Over the past week I met a Ugandan counselor named John Bosco. I told him all about my research and he invited me to join him in his village to see what he was doing in regard to HIV/AIDS. He started an organization called Uganda Empowers (http://www.ugandaempowers.org/) but it is still at its starting point. He invited me to show me how he educates his members about HIV/AIDS, but there was also a hidden agenda. Like most situations you can find yourself in as an outsider, you are seen as money and therefore a benefactor. I live my life in a way that you cannot give someone a one time donation, it will soon run out. You have to build something that creates an income (a sustainable income generating project, if you will). So I told him that I would not be making a donation but I will help with research and resources to work with the community to create a sustainable source of income. It is very important to end the perpetual cycle of aid dependency. With all that aside, I had an amazing time and enjoyed the company of a new friend. 
 John invited me to his Mother's home and these are four of the five orphans that she takes care of because their parents died of HIV/AIDS.
 Reading a lecture at Uganda Empowers while the girl, Peace, translated.
 The counselors and expert clients who helped start Uganda Empowers. They are all HIV positive and have been living with HIV for over 15 years.
 This is the Uganda Empowers Music Group who sang a song about the importance of knowing your status before it is too late.
 This was after a boy proposed to me and everyone wanted to know why I was not married already. I actually get that question way too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment