Friday, May 11, 2012

Hey Everyone!
You may or may not know this by now, but I will be traveling to Masaka, Uganda leaving May 17th and arriving back in Philadelphia July 29th at 8:10 p.m. (MOM TAKE NOTE). I will be going through the University of San Francisco's Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good with their program and collaboration with the Foundation for Sustainable Development. I have been given the opportunity to work at an HIV/AIDS organization called The AIDS Support Organization, or TASO for short. TASO "strives to improve the lives of HIV-infected or affected persons as part of the larger effort to address the world’s AIDS pandemic. It promotes prevention, hope restoration, and general support physically and emotionally to its clients." While there, my main focus of study will be education of HIV/AIDS. I am writing my thesis on what information is being used to increase understanding of HIV, how this information is being taught (pamphlets, group meetings, theatre, art, etc..), and most importantly, how much of that information is retained and seen as important to the people of Masaka. Sorry, that was a lot of information...


Now for what I am excited about: my Ugandan family. I will be doing a home stay and living with a large Ugandan family and immersing myself in their daily lives. Here is where I will be living:


Their home is located in Kijjabwemi village, which is about 20 minutes walk from Kijjabwemi Town. The mother and father have six children and they live in what is described as a permanent house. I will have electricity and running water, but I have been told it is prone to have a lot of blackouts so bring flashlights. They have three bedrooms with one living room as well as poultry houses in the backyard (maybe I should eat meat again?...hmm).

Father: Senya Joachim. He is an Auditor.

Mother: Tumusiime Norah. She is a Businesswoman dealing in milk sales, sweater knitting and poultry rearing. 
Children:
Kansiime Claire 20 years is in senior five in boarding school at Gombe S.S.
Mugisha Gerald, 17 years, is in senior two in boarding school at Gombe S.S.
Muhwezi Chris, 13 years, is in primary six in boarding school at Bishop Dungu S.S.
Muhirwe Daniel, 5 years, is in nursery school at katwe.
Muchunguzi Julius, 21 years, is in vacation. Working and staying in Kampala.
Muhawe David is in senior four, in Boarding School at Masaka S.S.

I requested a large family because it will make me feel like I am back at home. The only problem is now I have eight welcome gifts I need to think of to bring from the States (suggestions?).

Now that everyone knows what I will be doing and where I will be, I just need to get there and will fill you all in along the way. Feel free to follow me, I will be posting once a week (not going to lie, this is part of my class requirements while I am there, I am not someone who usually blogs).

I will miss so many people (shout out to all of my family as well as my friends that are GRADUATING!) I am so sorry that I did not get to see all of you before I left but know that I will think of you guys often! Also, feel free to leave any comments or questions, it is always nice to hear from the people I love!

I love you all and will miss you! 6 MORE DAYS AHHH!















5 comments:

  1. Very nice. Good luck. The family sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who blogs, weirdo? Just kidding you're amazing and can't wait to see you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie KennedyJune 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

      Molly have you met Maggie!? haha jk! Can't wait to see you both this summer.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you leave today...let us know when you get in, ect...I love you and can't wait to get "daily" reports!!! XXXOOO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie KennedyJune 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM

    Maggie I'm glad you are enjoying yourself but I am very worried about you right now!! When you are feeling better please update us with how you are feeling. I miss you greatly, sister. Even though Ann hasn't commented I know she's reading as well! I love you we'll have to do something relaxing and self gratifying when you get home.

    ReplyDelete